College Planning (Grade 12)
We suggest that all CHS 12th graders consider the following:
- Continue to work hard on your studies. Colleges care about your course work and grades throughout your entire senior year.
- Retake the ACT with Writing and SAT in the fall.
- Meet with your college advisor to be sure that your list of colleges includes programs appropriate to your academic and personal record.
- Be sure you have reviewed the website, application form, and financial aid and scholarship information from every school in which you are interested.
- Prepare a schedule for each of your top schools showing requirements and deadlines for application submission, processing fees, test scores, teacher recommendations, transcripts, and essays. Include names of important contacts from the colleges.
- Visit the colleges you are serious about.
- Meet with college admissions representatives who visit our campus.
- Prepare applications and write essays. Adhere to guidelines and deadlines. Keep a copy of everything.
- Research and apply for financial aid and scholarships. Download necessary applications/forms.
- Keep in mind that most colleges will honor the "universal candidate's reply date," allowing you to choose without penalty from all offers of scholarship and aid until May 1.
- Watch your email and the mail for admissions letters. Be sure to return promptly any other forms, housing agreements and medical histories.
- Watch your email and the mail for information on college orientation, summer academic programs, and other information that will help your transition to college.